How to restore menu toolbar in Firefox

Just hit the ALT key.

Long answer:

I was fooling around in Firefox and unchecked the visible toolbars under View > Toolbars. The options are the Menu toolbar, the Navigation toolbar, the Bookmarks toolbar and any other toolbar you may have added. I started from the bottom of the list and hid the bookmarks, navigation and last of all the menu bar.

That left me in big trouble because the View button had disappeared and I could no longer access the View > Toolbar options underneath in Firefox. What to do? No way to fully browse the internet. I did a quick search online using the key terms in this post's title to find out the way to restore the menu bar in FIrefox. after all, if you can hide it, you can unhide it. Unfortunately, either I used the wrong search terms or Google is not as good as we all thought and I couldn't find a solution quickly enough on the first page.

I picked a link on the first page about a Firefox addon to hide the menu bar (is that necessary?) and in it, it said to press the ALT key to restore the menu bar. Close to desperation, I tried just that although this was supposed to work specifically for the addon but hey presto, my menu bar was visible again.

After clicking pressing the alt key, don't forget to go back to View > Toolbar and tick the Menu toolbar because if you check the View Bookmarks toolbar instead, as an example, the Menu bar will disappear again. Although by now, you will now how to make it appear again using the keyboard. Once again, I'll repeat it because it is so nice and reassuring to know that: press the alt key to make the menu bar reappear in Firefox. At least this works in the latest version of FF (3.6.3 currently) and on Windows XP.



So if you happened to have been in the same situation as me, I am writing this posst in the hope it will appear high up in Google if you are ever making such a targeted search.

0 comments:

Post a Comment