An elusive hairdresser

How long have you been here? Where do you work? What do you do at work? Are you married? Kids? Grand kids? Ok, I made up the last one – I don’t even have kids yet but the only hairdresser I could find locally was probably the most talkative and curious. What will you have for dinner, she asked. I just had my lunch I replied. Do you like shopping? I prefer to do it online, I said, thinking about an article on men’s shirts and internet shopping I had just read.


My search for a hairdresser started shortly around Christmas and New Year when I decided to have a hair cut. It had been several months since my last one but since my last haircut was very short, I was not to be confused for a girl yet! My last haircut was also DIY.


Never would have thought that finding a local hairdresser would prove so hard. Actually, finding them was easy, finding one that was open was damn hard. Ok, it must be because they are all partying hard during yuletide, I told myself. One week after New Year, I resumed my search. One place looked still boarded up. I much later found out that there was another hairdresser just next to it that was open but at that time both were closed and one permanently. The next hairdresser was open but looked quite expensive and the person inside put me off with her attitude. Move on to the next one then. Next one looked frozen shut like it was not going to open anytime soon. I found another one on the internet via yell but it seemed to be a virtual hairdresser as I just could not find it on the street. It was supposed to be right on a round-about! Sounds like a Harry Potter novel to me.



I must have visited around 5 local hairdressers until I found an open one. All the others were shut. Maybe they open just for summer here! When I entered the only hairdresser open for business, the warm water vapour inside cause steam to form on my glasses and I just about saw a huge dog followed by a smaller one jumping at me. I also heard them barking very loudly; fortunately for me I recognized that they were not barking aggressively but rather welcoming me noisily. I asked for a haircut only to be told I needed an appointment. Damn, it’s getting harder and harder to get my hair cut here. I nearly resorted going down the diy route. I said I would call to make an appointment, thinking, yeah right!


But I did call and make my appointment. Somehow not finding a hairdresser made me more determined to get my hair cut by one of them rare breed. My appointment was for the next day and I turned up to find I was the only one there. Well, having an appointment does have its advantage then. But surprise, surprise, the two dogs were still there. And I thought they belonged to a customer who came to have her hair done yesterday. No they belonged to the hairdresser it turned out. At first I was ok with them, a nice distraction but I realized that having scissors held close to my eyes with a huge dog jumping around In a small cluttered room is not a good combination. An experience I will certainly not put myself through again.

0 comments:

Post a Comment